Western Slope Business Solutions – RACC October 2023 Member of the Month
We sat down with Heather Smith, CPA and owner of Western Slope Business Solutions in Ouray, Colorado.
Tell me the story of Western Slope Business Solutions.
Back in the late 90s, I took my CPA exam in Oklahoma but didn’t receive the passing results until my newlywed husband and I relocated to Colorado. With the change, I instead worked for various Chambers of Commerce as an accountant for a span of 17 years. In 2011, when we expanded our family, I shifted gears and obtained my Colorado CPA license and founded Western Slope Business Solutions in 2013. This year marks our 10th anniversary.
What services do you provide?
Western Slope Business Solutions primarily focuses on bookkeeping for small businesses, along with payroll, sales tax, and lodging tax. We are a team of 3, with two members assisting Heather with data entry and reconciliations. Overall services provided are below:
- Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable
- Monthly Reconciliations & Database Entry
- Filing & Assisting with a Paperless Office
- Billing & Corrections
- Payroll & Taxes
- Monthly Financial Reports & Human Resources
- Email Marketing & Strategic Planning
- Retreat Facilitation & Annual Reports
- Research and Report Writing
- Full Charge Bookkeeping & Tax Compilation
When are you accepting new clients?
We are currently accepting new clients until October 31st, 2023, and after February 1st, 2024. Any prospective clients will be given a questionnaire and interviewed to ensure that it’ll be a good fit for both of us.
Do you have any tips for small business owners?
Staying on top of your bookkeeping and expenses will pay off. We recommend keeping your physical receipts in case of a potential audit, but Western Slope Business Solutions is here to help relieve any headaches that small business owners may have to endure. Upcoming deadlines to be aware of:
- W-2s and 1099s must be sent out by January 31st, 2024
- Filings for partnerships, multi-member LLCs, and S-Corporations is March 15th, 2024.
- Taxes for C-Corporations are due by April 15th, 2024.
What do you value about being a Ridgway Chamber member?
With my background in various Chambers of Commerce, it is important for small businesses to support their local Chamber of Commerce, and vice versa.