The winding mountain roads and charming western towns surrounding Ridgway make for epic car and motorcycle tours. Ridgway is the perfect place to stage a series of classic day trips, complete with hot springs and friendly pubs to soothe away your road weariness when you return at the end of the day. We are part of many historic and scenic routes that connect our rural burgs to nearby towns and points of interest with shared history and purpose. The Alpine Loop is one of our most wellknown but only accessible by four-wheel drive.
Cimarron Mountains and Owl Creek Pass
Considered one of the most scenic drives in the U.S.A., this pass travels through jagged cliffs, babbling brooks, sites of Western movie sets, and has great opportunities for wildlife viewing and fishing. This route, laced with stands of aspen, is especially beautiful in the fall. This adventurous day trip will take you into the heart of the magnificent Cimarron Mountains. The peaks of Chimney Rock and Courthouse Mountain will watch over you as you drive along a dirt road, which once was a cattle drive trail.
Million Dollar Highway and San Juan Skyway
A trip to Ouray County isn’t complete without a ride along the Million Dollar Highway, the section of Highway 550 between Ouray and Silverton with many historic buidings and mines. Extend this to cover the entire San Juan Skyway Scenic and Historic Byway, a 233-mile loop to meander through Ouray, Ridgway, Telluride, Rico, Dolores, Cortez, Durango, and Silverton. The drive is stunning in any season: spring offers hundreds of waterfalls along the route, summer brings fields of wildflowers, fall provides iconic golden-colored vistas, and winter gives you a high-contrast trip with robin’s egg blue skies and endless white powder fields.
Recommended by Locals
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park – south and north rim drives, Montrose, Ute Indian Museum, Montrose County Historical Museum, antique shops
- Telluride – National Historic District, a world-class ski and golf resort, free summer gondola, San Juan Mountain high country
- Silver Thread Scenic Byway – historic districts of Creede and Lake City, Lake San Cristobal, Rio Grande River
- Unaweep Tabeguache Scenic Byway – picturesque canyons, historic Hanging Flume, Gateway, Whitewater, Grand Junction, Colorado National Monument
- Trail of the Ancients – Four Corners, Crow Canyon Archaeological Center, Lowry Pueblo, Ute Mountain Ute Tribal Park, Galloping Goose Railcar & Museum
When visiting Ouray please be sure to visit these Ridgway Chamber Members
Box Canyon Lodge & Hot Springs 970.325.4981
Horseback Adventures 970.325.3006
Mountain Dog Arts 970-239-3434
Mountain Trip 970.369.1153
Ouray County Performing Arts Guild 970.626.2970
Switzerland of America Jeep Adventures 970.325.4484